Monday 22 April 2013

Happy Monday

Typically a Monday does not call for too much celebration. 



The weekend is over. You're still nursing a mild hangover from the mild partying that you did Sunday night. You have to go to work for five, maybe six continuous days before the weekend comes around again. You know that you will reach at least 5 minutes late to that very important meeting that's been set up first thing in the morning. And honestly it wasn't your fault; it really was the traffic. And did I forget to mention, you're in such a tearing hurry to get out of the house that you have missed that oh so important cup of coffee, that beautiful black brew which will kick start your brain into action. 

Also did you notice how I said You? So yes, this was pretty much what my Monday morning looked like for many, many months. And honestly I didn't have too much of a problem with it, because I was unstoppable and I loved my job and the people that came with it and the after-work extra curricular activities that would ensure. 

I have been masquerading as a freelance writer for 6 months now. So when I was working in the corporate world, I would think that if I had free time apart from the weekend, I would do a million, million things - bake, work with animals, go to the planetarium, finish the driving lessons, travel and so on. 

This doesn't really happen - not all the things that you put on your "When I'm on a break list" actually materialize. It's actually alright. You have the time and opportunity to completely unwind. Travel does happen and how; so much so that I have learnt the art of travelling light. I've been reading a lot, discovering some kickass and I mean KICKASS books along the way - The Book Thief, 1Q84, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 84 Charing Cross - happiness and joy. I have more time for friends and family, and I do them the honour of grazing their homes with my presence more often than before. Exercising has come to the fore once again. On a mostly (un)related note, I apparently burnt 497 calories yesterday! Woo hoo!  

While a lot gets done, a good number of things don't get done too. I know they eventually will, maybe some after I starting working again even. But some days you are left with the bitter taste in your mouth - and you know it reeks of the time that's been wasted. This is especially true if you have slept for most part of the day or if you have been putting away brushing your teeth till you need to get out of the house to buy instant noodles. 

This morning was a little different. Actually so was the rest of the day. I would actually say today has been quite productive, very indeed and here's why.
  • I got a call from an animal magazine to write for them. The excitement is killing me. I only hope my quote for the pieces doesn't kill them. 
  • I signed up for a 6 week online course on creativity on Venture Lab. My first assignment is to design the book cover for my autobiography. Will post it here once I 'design' it. Design - it makes me feel cooler than I am supposed to, more arty-farty than usual. As an aside, if someone cannot dance, you say they have 2 left feet. In that case, are they accused of having 2 left hands if they can't draw? If so, I am blessed with an excess of left limbs. 
  • I also signed up for a 3 day cooking course at Secret Garden. I learned to make mayonnaise from scratch today and also got to carry home what I made in a little doggy bag. It's a little salty, but I'm sure with a little dill and a lot of potato, it will be perfect. I also believe I can make Vegetable Stock and Vinaigrette. Tomorrow I will be making pasta from scratch - the dough, rolling it, the sauces, et al. Yum! Day after is desserts - Lemon Curd and Choco Lava Cake. I would also very much like to have Choco Lava Cake NOW!
  • I now know how to spell Vinaigrette. I honestly though it was Vinegarette.      
  • I have created a profile on Khan Academy to study science. So I was one of the few people from my generation who was allowed to drop Science as a subject in my 8th standard. Why I did, I can't fathom now; I constantly berate myself about it. But back then my reasoning was sound. I think. My big brother was studying Commerce and anything he did was the best thing in the world. I would have more free hours - 10 more per week than the poor Science students. The once that cinched the deal was having to study for only 1 subject, aka Commerce as opposed to 3 - Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For the past couple of years, I have felt the need to have stimulating scientific conversations thanks to the DG and his friends who are engineers. And yes, also not to feel stupid when I can't or won't be able to quote and explain what Newton's Laws of Motion are. 
  • I went to the parlour for a mint pedicure and came out with Bright Orange toe nails. I think they may just glow in the dark and send a signal to my alien doppelganger on Pluto. I also really preferred it when Pluto was classified as a planet. Now it is only a dwarf planet. 
  • It rained today and it felt right! I too feel as right as rain
  • I will be dog-sitting for a friend tomorrow and the day after and I can't wait for those two mutts to come home. I'm going to love them to bits. 2 concerns on this front - that they don't poop in my house (dear god, please please please please) and walking them while Humper is lurking around. Humper or Humpoo as I fondly call him is the humping street dog who loves me dearly; his tale I will reserve for another day
  • Finally my dinner was Kappa Biryani - steamed tapioca and beef fry, from the land of coconut oil and toddy and superb food. Delish it was! For dessert there was Bibinca and Badam Halwa, from other lands. Delish once again! 
So yes, my Monday has been superb. And if I had to write more than a thousand words due to an unstoppable bout of verbal diarrhea, it really was something! So to the rest of YOU, hope you had a Happy Monday too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment